There are many different treatments available for back pain and it can be a daunting task to first of all understand the various options and then to make an informed decision on what you would like to try to help you manage your back pain. BackCare aims to give you the information and the knowledge to make a decision that is best for your situation.
Choosing a treatment
It has been estimated that there are more than 200 different treatment options for back pain. Some of these are well-established and have been thoroughly researched while others are more experimental and less mainstream. When having to decide what treatment to try, you may want to ask yourself the following questions:
- Is there any scientific evidence that shows the treatment is effective and safe? Where available, BackCare uses scientific information for most of the information we provide.
- Who performs the treatment? Is s/he registered with a regulatory body? If not, is s/he adequately qualified to perform the treatment?
- What are the possible benefits, the possible risks and the costs of the treatment? When making a decision you will have to weigh these three.
- Is the treatment on offer appropriate for my condition and my circumstances?
- Can you get information and advice on the treatment on offer from multiple sources?
- Have you spoken with anyone who has tried the treatment on offer? This may give you a better insight in what to expect.
Treatments for back pain
BackCare has collected a wealth of information on the most commonly used treatments for back pain. Click on the categories below to find out more: